Thursday, May 16, 2013

So far I've converted the engine to use frame based timing. I know a lot of people will think this isn't the correct way to handle it. However I'm running on an extremely slow laptop with an integrated chip and it's pumping out 60 FPS consistently. The only real problem is if someone actually has a slower laptop than me--highly unlikely. It's a 2D game with no raster editing and no complicated physics. For the purposes of this game, frame based timing is more than adequate.

I've implemented an event system. This makes it easy to create cutscenes when certain requirements are met. In this scene, the gem explodes, the portal opens, and a bunch of... things... fly out.


The prologue is almost finished.

After this comes the real work: the levels. With these levels comes new tilesets, new enemies, new bosses, new music, new everything. Time to put on my seat belt.

5 comments:

  1. "Hello, hello, hello
    Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me
    Is there anyone home?"

    Hi! I'm just writing to ask how the project is going. Are you still working on it?

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm still working on it. It's taking much longer than I thought, and the more it drags on, the slower I get. I'll try to push out something quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you plan on still working on this or may i take over the project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do what you want with the game. All code and resources are free for any use.

      Delete
    2. That's generous. Would you be able to point me to a code repository? I'm definitely interested in viewing the code.

      Delete