Friday, June 13, 2014

Plop

It's finished. Get it here:
Plop on Google Play

Working on my second Android game, Plop. I can't seem to stay away from puzzle games so I had to make one myself.

It's pretty much a 2D version of the Rubik's Cube, except with porings.
Shoutout to Ragnarok Online yo. Snipers4lyf.

The gameplay is simple. You can pick regular mode, which is timed, or casual mode. Then you pick a difficulty. Higher difficulty includes more colors and a more random solution.
You are to try to match the plop grid with the solution grid by:
1) moving rows left and right
2) moving columns up and down
The game has 4 levels, with increasing grid size from 3x3 to 6x6. The point of the game is to try to finish all 4 levels in the smallest amount of moves you can.

I did take some screenshots of the progress, so you can kind of see the steps I took to make the game look nice.

I've posted before that you shouldn't really worry about graphics until you have a solid foundation for your gameplay and you're happy with it. So I suggested using placeholder graphics.


Once you have something to work with, you can try making more detailed graphics for your game, as well as a basic layout for how you want your HUD to look.



Then just keep tweaking until you get something you're satisfied with.


I'm not gonna lie. This game is pretty hard, especially for people not inclined to puzzle games. Here's a small video of me playing on hard difficulty.

Video

EDIT:
Complete fail in the video. In the 3x3, I could have just moved the bottom row to the right to solve it and save me two moves. I have no idea what I was doing there with that fancy swivel.
Every move counts. One of the achievements I'm planning on adding is to finish hard mode in under 180 moves. Also global leaderboards. Hopefully I can get that to work.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice idea and cool game ! Love the graphics, the porings are so cute !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Very good idea, this game could be a big hit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really cool. I would add another mode, a bandaged mode, where two blocks are stuck together. It would get really crazy with multiple bandages, etc. Continue to work on it! Here's an example of what I mean: 2:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcUzWUWI94

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I dunno. This game seems hard enough as it is. It seems like the type of game that people will either play a lot, or people will discard instantly because they can't do it.

      Well, actually maybe adding stuck blocks would work. I don't know, we'll see.

      Delete